We're looking north and up from the floodplain north of the Inn at Schloss Tratzberg, a castle between Stans-bei-Schwaz and Jenbach. The first castle here was built in the 1200s. It came into the possession of the Emperor Maximilian in the late 1400s but was destroyed in a fire in 1492. The Tänzel Brothers built the late Gothic part of the present castle in 1500 with money from the Schwaz silver, and in the 1550s Georg von Illsung built more of the castle. Today it consists of a square of buildings with a large courtyard inside. |
In 1847 the castle came into the possession of the Counts Enzenberg, and it is still in their possession today. It is open for tours from April to September.
On to the next image in the full trip down the Inn near Jenbach.
Back to the previous image.
On to the next image in the shorter trip of highlights.
Back to the Trip Down the Inn page, where you can choose from the full list of images.
Back to Railsback's Alpine and Glacial Geology course page.
Back to Railsback's Bruce Railsback's main page.
Email to Bruce Railsback
UGA Geology Home Page