View
We're inside the parish church of Schwaz, the Pfarrkirche Unser Lieben Frauen Himmelfahrt. The previous church in Schwaz, which dated from the 1300s, was deemed too small as the town grew with the silver mining here, so a new larger church was begun in 1478. However, within a couple of decades that church was too small, again because of the growing population associated with mining, and the plan of the church was enlarged to the present hall-church format, broader and more open than Gothic churches.
        In the 1720s, the church was redecorated in the Baroque style, and so one has to imagine it with more painting of the ceiling and much more decorated throughout. The church maintained that aspect until 1908, when it was de-baroqued to return it to something closer to its original late-medieval look (or to its "present empty interior", as the church guidebook disapprovingly says). The church was damaged in bombing late in World War II and so has undergone restoration since then.

 

 

On to the next image in the full trip down the Inn, a view east of Stans-bei-Schwaz. Go!

        Back to the previous image.

On to the next image in the shorter trip of highlights.

Back to the Trip Down the Inn page, where you can choose from the full list of images.


Back to Railsback's Alpine and Glacial Geology course page.

Back to Railsback's Bruce Railsback's main page.

Email to Bruce Railsback

UGA Geology Home Page